Gluten-Free Peppermint Brownies
Ready for a seasonal recipe that shouts holiday spirit & is kind to your waist line? These Gluten Free Peppermint Brownies balance pure decadence and high protein goodness. Enjoy!
- 3/4 c oat flour
- 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa
- 1 c shredded and packed zucchini (about 2 zucchini)
- 1 c Truvia
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 T coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp peppermint oil
- 3/4 c carob chips (you can also use dark chocolate with not that big of a carb difference)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 scoop Beverly Ultimate Muscle Protein (Chocolate or Vanilla)
- 1/3 cup Truvia
- 1/8 tsp peppermint oil
FRENCH TOAST PROTEIN CASSEROLE
Makes 8 servings
10 pieces of Ezekiel Bread, thawed
4 scoops Vanilla UMP
1 cup water
1/3 cup Walden Farms Maple Syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup Cottage Cheese
1/4 cup Truvia
1/4 cup Preserves (Simply Fruit, any flavor)
1/4 cup pecans, chopped
2 tsp Cinnamon
1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) In large mixing bowl, beat eggs, UMP, water, vanilla and syrup together.
3) Tear the Ezekiel bread into bite size pieces and add to the mixture. Toss and let it marinate while you prep other ingredients.
4) In a small bowl, beat cottage cheese until its smooth. Add preserves and Truvia and mix well.
5) Spray an 8X8 casserole dish with cooking spray.
6) Add the bread mixture and then swirl the cottage cheese mixture into the dish.
7) Sprinkle with cinnamon and pecans.
8) Bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
Remove foil, bake another 15.
Allow it to cool a bit before serving or if you can’t wait, burn your tongue like me.
9) Serve with Walden Farms pancake syrup.
10) Call 7 friends to help you eat it.
1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) Melt coconut oil in Microwave.
3) Add all other ingredients except chips and blend thoroughly with a hand mixer.
4) Fold in chips with a spoon.
5) Distribute brownies evenly in a nonstick muffin tin.
6) Bake on 350 for 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
7) Mix frosting ingredients and place in fridge until brownies have cooled.
8) Add frosting to the top of each brownie.
9) Garnish the top with crushed candy cane. I found some organic ones at Whole Paycheck.
Banana Bread Protein Muffins
These banana bread protein muffins taste just like a deliciously moist piece of banana bread! What’s even better… There’s no flour or sugar in the entire recipe, and they have the added bonus of protein, which means they’ll keep you feeling fueled and satisfied! I love baking up a batch of these muffins, and freezing them so I can have a quick healthy snack that is ready in minutes! So, whether your trying to increase the protein in your diet, eat overall ‘clean’, or even just find a yummy sugar & gluten free baked good, I can guarantee you will love these muffins!
2 cup Egg Whites
1 Whole Egg
1 1/2 cups oats
1/2 cup cottage cheese (low fat)
1 mashed banana
3 scoops Vanilla Ultimate Muscle Protein UMP
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
Mix everything in a blender. Preheat over for 350F. Pour into muffin holds and bake for 15-20 minutes. Makes 6 big or 12 small. (I like to use the silicon baking trays or muffin papers because these stick)
Per big muffin ( 2 little) 240 cal, 27g protein, 2.8 g fat, 25 carbs
Excellent Chocolate Chip Cookies!
I have finally perfected my better for you Chocolate Chip Cookies. Are these perfect, no.
But they are certainly a lot better for you than the cut and bake type! Here is the recipe:
1 cup Oat Flour
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 scoops Beverly International Ultimate Muscle Protein
3 egg whites
2 TBSP Truvia
Dash of salt
1/8 – 1/4 c water
1/3 cup chocolate chip morsels
Mix together first 6 ingredients. Slowly add water to bring the mixture to a thick batter consistency.
Stir in chocolate chips. Once thoroughly mixed, drop spoonfuls of batter onto a greased baking dish
Bake at 350 degrees for approx 8 mins.
I do find that these cookies do not brown as well as traditional cookies. Be sure to watch them carefully and not to let the bottoms burn. I also found it better to spray the baking dish lightly with Pam otherwise, they tend to stick to the pan.
Makes approximately 18 cookies
Breakdown per cookie:
Protein: 3.5 g
Carbs: 6.8 g
Sugars: 2.7 g
Fiber: 1 g
Fat: 1.8 g
Turkey Burger & Baked Sweet Potato Fries
One cheat meal won’t ruin your results…..Just like one healthy/clean meal won’t make you lean……
That said, the more clean meals you have, the closer you get to your goals! My favorite cheat meal is a big juicy turkey burger and sweet potato fries. When you make it like I do, it only looks & tastes like a cheat meal. Here is how I like it:
2 pieces of Ezekiel Bread
6oz ground turkey breast
Sea Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
Beefsteak tomato (I just like the name beefsteak)
1 oz low fat part-skim mozzarella
1 small sweet potato
1 T olive oil
Cinnamon, nutmeg and Truvia to taste
1) Preheat the oven to 450.
2) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3) Slice your sweet potato into whatever fun shape you love. I prefer mine waffled!
4) Toss them in a bowl with the olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg and Truvia. I CLEARLY have a sweet tooth so feel free to spice it up with some salt, pepper, paprika, and chili powder.
5) Place them on baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes depending on how crispy you like them. Toss them several times while they bake.
6) Make your burger patty any way you like. I like mine with sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
7) Slap that patty onto toasted Ezekiel bread and smother with all your favorite toppings.
8) Remove sweet potatoes from the oven and let them cool for a bit before devouring them.
9) Hold nothing back. Cherish every bite. Have no regrets tomorrow because it’s CLEAN.
Apple Cinnamon Pie Overnight Oats
From the creative women of Team Fitbody…here is a sweet tooth curing breakfast that you have to try!
1/3 cup of oats
1/3 cup of unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup chopped apple
1/3 cup of greek yogurt
1 scoop of vanilla UMP
1/8 tsp each of cinnamon and nutmeg
1-2 packets of splenda
Stir all ingredients together in a bowl, cover and put in the refrigerator over night. Enjoy upon rising!
Macro breakdown: 297 calories, 36g carbs, 6g fat, 29g protein
Two Ingredient Connoisseur
Sometimes I think being a picky eater comes in handy during contest prep. I have never been one to enjoy lots of sauces, toppings, dressings, dips or mayo. I'm simple. I also love to bake, but cook, not so much. So the main meals and snacks that contest prep requires is kept as simple as I can make it. Therefore, I am going to call myself - The Two Ingredient Connoisseur. Here are a few of my favorite two ingredient recipes - please have an open mind - some sound interesting and nothing is too original but they make meal prep a breeze.
-- Green beans topped with regular or peach salsa from Trader Joes
-- UMP mixed with oats (cooked or uncooked)
-- Greek yogurt topped with berries
-- Sweet potato chips with sea salt
-- Egg whites scrambled up and topped with sugar free syrup
-- Low carb whole wheat wrap with any lean meat inside
-- Shredded chicken mixed with salsa
-- Apple slices with natural peanut butter
-- Turkey bacon wrapped around asparagus
-- Grilled zucchini with lean pulled pork
-- Carb master fruit flavored yogurt with crushed walnuts on top
-- Vanilla UMP mixed into pudding with blueberries
-- Sirloin steak sliced over shredded lettuce
-- Greek yogurt inside a low carb whole wheat wrap
-- Ezekial bread soaked in egg whites made into french toast
-- Any protein powder blended with PB2 served ice cold
-- Veggies dipped in tomato basil hummus from Trader Joes
-- Coffee mixed with a 25 calorie packet of hot chocolate
They might look sweet, but don’t be fooled. These meaty cupcakes are sure to make your guests do a double take! One bite though and they will be asking you for the recipe!
1.5lb ground turkey breast
1/4 c diced onions
1/4 c diced celery
1/4 c diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup oats
4 egg whites
1/2 c tomato paste
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2T worcestershire sauce
1T minced garlic
2T Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1) Bake sweet potatoes in oven while you mix meatloaf (see below)
2) Mix egg whites, tomato paste, mustard, worcestershire sauce, garlic, and seasonings in a large mixing bowl.
3) Add turkey, veggies and oats and mix well with clean hands.
4) Spray your extra large muffin pan with cooking spray.
5) Place meatloaf mixture in pan and cook at 375 for one hour.
SWEET POTATO TOPPING
2 sweet potatoes
1/4 cup water (you can use milk if you like to make it creamier)
1/2 tsp cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg
1) Preheat oven to 415 degrees.
2) Poke holes in your sweet potatoes with a fork.
3) Place in oven and bake for 30-40 min or until soft.
4) Once the sweet potato is done baking, turn oven down to 375 degrees.
5) When your sweet potato is done, peel and place in a bowl and mash with a fork.
6) Add water, Truvia, and spices
7) Place mixture in a large glad lock freezer bag.
8) Snip the end with scissors and squeeze sweet potato topping on top of each meat cake.
***You can use fancy icing bags and tips if you’d like. I just made my own and practiced before placing on top of meatloaf.
Apple Pie UMP Protein Pancakes
Apple Pie UMP Pancakes
1/2 cup oats
4 egg whites
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 scoop Beverly Vanilla UMP
3 T Walden Farms Calorie Free Pancake Syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp All Spice
1) Mix pancake ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2) Place on griddle until brown on each side.
3) Mix icing ingredients in a separate bowl.
4) Layer icing on each pancake.
Muscle Mocha Pudding
1 scoop Ultimate Muscle Protein
1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
Approx. ¼ cup of fresh hot coffee
2 tbsp Fat Free Cool Whip (optional)
Approximate Nutrient Profile:
Protein: 34 g
Carbs: 10 g
Fats: 3 g
Mix first three ingredients together in a small bowl or to make it more fun, in a coffee cup.
You will need to adjust the amount of coffee depending on the consistency you desire.
Top with FF Cool Whip as you eat.
Protein Packed Pancakes
Refuel your body with this protein packed indulgence. So good you’ll feel like your cheating!
2 Scoops Ultimate Muscle Protein
3 egg whites
1/4 cup oatmeal (dry)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Enough water to make a batter consistency
Approx. Nutrient Profile:
Protein: 53 g
Carbs: 17 g
Fats: 8 g
Mix oatmeal with 1/4 cup water and microwave for 1minute. Add remaining ingredients and add water to batter consistency.
Spray skillet with Pam. Cook in a skillet until bubbles form on the top and then flip.
Top with sugar free syrup or berries.
Simple Ways to Spice Up Your Shakes
Protein Shakes and Powders allow us flexibility when we’re limited in the meal or snack choices on the road, at work, or just when you want something a little different. Try these suggestions to spice up your favorite Protein Powder!
16 oz cold water
2 scoops your choice of Beverly International’s Proteins
Add ice cubes to the blender
Pour cold water in blender
Add Protein Powder
Blend all the ingredients till thoroughly mixed
Blenders Bottles are my preferred method for making shakes.
Fun Add Ins:
Coffee, Espresso Shots, or Diet Mountain Dew for a pre workout jolt!
Frozen or fresh berries
PB2 or Peanut Butter
Extracts (Banana, Coconut, Vanilla)
Chocolate PB Protein Brownie
Who says you can’t have a delicious dessert style snack AND eat healthy. With this recipe you’ll be able to indulge in a Brownie Treat.
Save it for a special holiday when everyone else decides to have birthday cake or pumpkin pie
- 1 cup oat flour
- 4 egg whites
- 2 scoops UMP Vanilla Or Chocolate
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tbsp unsweetened baking cocoa
- 4 oz unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup all natural peanut butter
- 4 tbsp non fat Greek yogurt
Add all ingredients in large mixing bowl, and mix.
Spray 8×8 Pyrex dish with Pam.
Place batter in an Pyrex dish and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.Makes 8 Bars.
Asian Glazed Salmon
- 8-12 oz. salmon fillet
- 2 Tbls low-sugar orange preserves
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1-2 Tbls chopped garlic (depending on taste)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
Mix together orange preserves, soy sauce, garlic, and black pepper in a medium bowl.
Place unfrozen salmon fillet in deep dish and fork the fillet in several places. Pour soy sauce mixture on top of fillet. Bake until fish is opaque when the center is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 15 minutes. Alternately, you can place salmon with marinade on top in the refrigerator in the morning and then grill for dinner.
Serving suggestion: On top of mixed field greens with sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and light balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing.
Add a side of brown and/or wild rice for your carbohydrate.
Bacon & Tomato Chicken
One of the things you can do with chicken breast is to make them into a roulade. While a roulade can really be anything that you wrap around a filling of some sort (Hostess Ho Hos could be considered a roulade) typically they are some form of meat, usually poultry, wrapped around some tasty ingredients.
8 chicken breasts
3 Large tomatoes (or 6-8 roma tomatos) - Seeded and diced
1/3 cup of diced shallots
1 pound of turkey bacon (cooked on the crispy side)
1/8 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
Handful of fresh basil leaves (chopped)
garlic salt(to taste)
How to make it
Preheat oven to 425 F
Cook the bacon so that it on the crispy side. Drain on paper towels and wash pan throughly to remove bacon grease
Sauté the shallots in pan with a bit of Pam
Chop or crumble up all the bacon
In mixing bowl, toss the diced tomatoes, basil, shallots, bacon, and Parmesan cheese. Add in some garlic salt and set aside.
Place chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound thin with the smooth side of a meat pounder. The thinner the better.
If you want them really thin, horizontally slice the chicken breast first. Repeat for the rest of the breasts. Lay the chicken breast bone side up and place a few tablespoons of filling in the center. Rolled up the chicken breast and hold closed with toothpicks. Repeat. There will be a considerable amount of "filling" left over. We'll use that later.
Season the roulades with salt (or garlic salt)
Place on cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Remove toothpicks and plate the roulades topping with the remaining filling.
Baked Sicilian Omlete
Description: High Protein, Italian inspired baked cheese omelet.
- 8 egg whites
- 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch cake pan with olive oil cooking spray. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender.
Mix till smooth. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until mixture is set. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve warm.
Nutrition Totals Per Serving
KCal Breakdown: 55.2%
Fat Calories: 339
Protein: 45.6 (g)
Carbohydrate: 20.0 (g)
Fat: 7.6 (g)
Sodium: 801 (mg)
Cholesterol: 25 (mg)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 cup fresh or jarred salsa
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can (15 oz) low-sodium black beans, rinsed
- 1/3cup chopped cilantro
- 4 whole-wheat wraps
- 4 cups coarsely chopped or shredded romaine lettuce
Serve with: lime wedges
Remove pit and peel avocados. Coarsely chop 1 avocado; mash the other avocado in a small bowl and stir in 1/4 cup salsa until blended.
Cover with plastic wrap and set aside. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté pepper and carrots 3 minutes. Add cumin and cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add beans and remaining 3/4 cup salsa; heat through. Stir in the chopped avocado and cilantro; mix well.
Spread about 3 Tbsp mashed avocado-salsa mixture on each wrap and top with 1 cup lettuce. Spoon 1 cup bean mixture over bottom third of wrap. Starting at bottom, roll up tightly. Place seam side down on serving platter. Serve with lime wedges.
Yield 4 servings
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 14g
Saturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrates 74g
Dietary Fiber 20g
- Mission Carb Balance soft taco-size tortilla (These are my favorite as they have 11 g of fiber and taste great!)
- 1/3 cup liquid egg substitute or 3 egg whites (I prefer cage free organic eggs)
- 1/4 c chopped spinach
- 1/4 c chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes or 2 Tbsp salsa
Scramble the egg substitute with the mushrooms and spinach. Place on tortilla and add chopped tomatoes or salsa. For added nutrition value or variety, you could also use chopped bell peppers, red onions, black or pinto beans, and any herbs.
Protein: 13 grams
Fat: 2.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 18 grams
Fiber: 11 grams
Carb-Free Egg White Wraps
Create a carb free feast by wrapping scrambled egg whites in a large leaf of crisp lettuce!
- 4 egg whites (organic, free range are preferred)
- 1 TBSP Fresh Parmesan Cheese
- 2-3 large lettuce leaves
- Veggies of your choice. I prefer spinach, onions, peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, tomatoes, etc)
Cook veggies in a skillet with pam. Add in egg whites. Chop a head of lettuce in half and use the large, almost bowl like leaves as a crunchy wrap for your scrambled egg whites and veggies. Top with a touch of parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Cheesy Beef or Turkey Rice Casserole
- 2 1/2 c. water
- 2 c. brown rice
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 zucchini, halved and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 yellow squash, halved and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt or Mrs. Dash Original Blend
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 lb. organic lean ground beef or lean ground turkey
- 3/4 c. shredded reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese or fat free mozzarella
In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice, cover and simmer about 25 minutes.
Cook 1 lb. ground beef/turkey in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until no longer pink.
During the last 5 minutes of cooking time, pour olive oil into a nonstick skillet and place over medium heat. Add zucchini, yellow squash, and garlic to the pan. Sprinkle with basil, salt and pepper and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cooked rice and ground beef/turkey to vegetables, cover with lid and cook for 5 minutes. Stir vegetables and rice together and top with cheese. Place lid on top for 1 minute.
Makes 4 (1 1/2 c.) servings.
Fat: 6 g
Protein: 10 g
Carbs: 40 g
Chipolte Meat Loaf
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup regular oats
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare meat loaf, remove 1 chipotle chile and 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can; reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use.
Chop chile. Combine chile, adobo sauce, onion, and next 14 ingredients (through ground turkey breast) in a large bowl, stirring to combine.
Place turkey mixture in a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. To prepare topping, combine 1/4 cup tomato sauce, ketchup, and hot sauce in a small bowl; brush mixture evenly over meat loaf. Cover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until thermometer registers 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Yield & Time
6 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
CALORIES 239 (24% from fat)
FAT 7.1g (sat 1.9g, mono 2.5g, poly 1.9g)
Cuba Style Chicken
Into a ziploc bag, put:
- Juice of half a lime (or 2 tsp.)
- 1 crushed clove of garlic
- half a sliced onion
- half a sliced pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cardomom
Shake, then add two breasts of chicken. Marinate in fridge, turning periodically, for at least one hour. (Leave it all day or overnight, if you can)
Put breasts under broiler (brushed w/marinade) or grill for about five minutes each side. Meanwhile, heat one can of undrained black beans thoroughly, spread one portion on each plate. Top with one breast each, and on top of breast place 2 T of salsa then one dollop fat free sour cream.
Curried Chicken and Veggies
- 5 oz boneless raw chicken breast, diced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 5 cups raw mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups China peas
- 1 cup plain lowcarb yogurt
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
Makes 2 servings
Put the diced chicken in a non-stick pan with a bit of Pam. Cook chicken until browned, then add chicken broth, yogurt, curry powder and cornstarch, stir constantly. Heat until thick sauce forms, then simmer for 5 minutes. While chicken is cooking put mushrooms, carrots, bell peppers, and china peas in another non-stick pan with Pam. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
Place an equal amount of vegetable on 2 plates and top with equal amounts of chicken.
Place over brown rice or if you are watching carbs, add extra veggies like broccoli and enjoy!
Flank Steak with Marinade
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/4 pound organic, free range flank steak
Whisk first 5 ingredients to blend. Place steak in a large ziploc bag and add the marinade.
Let stand 1 hour at room temperature or refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
Prepare on grill (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler.
Grill or broil steak about 5 minutes per side for rare.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oilgarden-lasagna
- 3 1/2 cups (1 pound) chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels or frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cooking spray
- 9 (about 5 ounces) no-boil lasagna noodles (such as Barilla)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, onion, and carrot; sauté 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; stir in corn, basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
3. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a large saucepan; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in cottage cheese, Parmesan, nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
4. Spread 1/2 cup white sauce in bottom of an 11- x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 noodles over sauce; top with half the vegetable mixture (about 2 cups) and one-third of the remaining white sauce (about 1 cup). Top with 3 noodles, remaining vegetable mixture, half the remaining sauce, and 3 more noodles. Spread the remaining white sauce over noodles. Cover with foil and bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with mozzarella, and bake an additional 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes.
Yield & Time
6 servings (serving size: 1 square of lasagna)
• CALORIES 346
• FAT 9g (sat 5g, mono 3g, poly 1g)
• PROTEIN 23g
• CARBOHYDRATE 44g
• FIBER 4g
• CHOLESTEROL 27mg
• IRON 2mg
• SODIUM 556mg
• CALCIUM 440mg
Healthy Fitbody Chipolte Bowl
- 4 oz shredded cooked chicken breast (I pre make all my chicken each week by grilling it ahead of time and using low sodium chicken broth and mrs. Dash seasoning
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tbsp. no salt added black beans
- 2 tbsp. salsa
- 2 tbsp. fat free sour cream
- Pinch of fat free mozzarella cheese
- Shredded lettuce
Prepare just like a chipotle bowl. In bowl add in brown rice, beans, chicken or no chicken for vegetarian, salsa, sour cream cheese and top with lettuce.
So Yummy and about half the calories of a real chipotle bowl!
Protein: 35 g
Carbs: 45 g
Fats: 8 g
Mexican Chicken Wrap
- 1 cooked skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 c. no salt added black beans
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 low carb tortillas (I prefer Mission High Fiber, low Carb)
Shred chicken breast and add spices. Place chicken on tortillas with remaining ingredients. Roll and serve. Makes 2 servings.
Fat: 5 g
Protein: 25 g
Carbs: 48 g
Thai Chicken Pizza
There's no doubting that pizza is one of the most popular and widely consumed foods out there. Unfortunately, it can do a serious number on your daily calorie allowance. This delicious Thai Chicken Pizza is a healthy alternative that's easy (and fun) to make, perfect for leftovers, and can get the whole family involved. You can get creative with toppings, too. Just visit your local farmers' market to find out which seasonal produce will make a delicious addition!
Thai Chicken Pizza
20 ounces whole-wheat pizza dough
1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
3 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1 teaspoon canola oil
8 ounces organic chicken breast, boneless and skinless, trimmed and diced
1 medium organic red bell pepper, diced
4 whole organic scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
2/3 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
Place oven rack in the lowest position; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
Roll out or stretch dough on a lightly floured surface into a rough 16-inch oval. Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake on the bottom rack until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk peanut butter, water, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and garlic in a small bowl until well combined.
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add bell pepper, scallions and 1 tablespoon of the peanut sauce to the chicken; toss to combine. Remove the crust from the oven; spread evenly with the remaining peanut sauce. Top with the chicken mixture, then sprinkle with cheese. Return the pizza to the oven and bake on the bottom rack until the crust is crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, 11 to 13 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
Number of Servings: 6
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 29 mg
Sodium: 447 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 42 g
Dietary Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 20 g
Thai Peanut Chicken with Veggies and Rice
- 8 oz boneless raw chicken breast, diced
- 2 cups raw onion, sliced
- 2 cups red bell pepper, sliced or chopped
- 3 cups broccoli
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups peas
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped/crushed peanuts
- 1/2 cup Bell Plantation PB2
- Sriracha Sauce to taste
Makes 2 servings
Put the diced chicken in a non-stick pan with a bit of Pam. Cook chicken until browned.
While chicken is cooking put vegetables in another non-stick pan with Pam. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
Mix peanuts, PB2, soy sauce, water and Sriracha sauce in measuring cup. Combine both vegetables and chicken into one pan and pour the PB2 sauce mixture over entire pan contents. Simmer for 3-6 minutes and place Place an equal amount of vegetable on 2 plates and top with equal amounts of chicken.
Place over brown rice or if you are watching carbs, add extra veggies like broccoli and enjoy!!
Vegetable Quiche Cups to Go
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
- 3/4 cup liquid egg substitute (or egg whites)
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
- 1/4 cup diced green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce (optional)
Microwave the spinach for 2-1/2 minutes on high. Drain the excess liquid.
Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups. Spray the cups with cooking spray.
Combine the egg substitute, cheese, peppers, onions and spinach in a bowl. Mix well. Divide evenly among the muffin cups. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Quiche cups can be frozen and reheated in the microwave. Any combination of appropriate vegetables and reduced-fat cheeses may be used.
3 total fat (2g saturated)
Veggie Protein Rice
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 diced celery stalks
- 1 cup raw spinach
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 1/4 cup long-grain brown rice
- 6 egg whites
Steam the broccoli until just tender. Coat a medium sized pan with cooking spray, add the steamed broccoli, chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, diced celery, and raw spinach. Cook on medium heat until the spinach has cooked. Add the chicken broth, soy sauce and rice to the vegetable mixture and simmer until the liquid is gone. Add the egg whites and stir until the eggs are completely cooked.
Makes 2 servings
Oven-Roasted Shripm with Salsa
- 1/2 pound roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 pounds of large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat oven to 450 F.
In a 13x9x2-inch baking dish, combine tomatoes, onion, lime juice, jalapeno and cumin; mix well. Spray shrimp lightly with oil and toss with salt and pepper.
Evenly spread out shrimp atop tomato mixture. Place in oven and cook until shrimp are pink and salsa is hot, about 8 minutes. Turn halfway through to ensure even cooking. Serve warm.
Broccoli with Lemon Butter
Makes 8 servings
Serving size: 1/2 cup
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh broccoli
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large lemon, cut into wedges
1. Wash broccoli, and trim tough stems. Cut each stalk of broccoli into several pieces.
2. Place broccoli into a vegetable steamer basket over boiling water.
Cover and simmer for 10 minutes until broccoli is tender.
3. In a small skillet, melt butter, and then add lemon juice. Drizzle lemon butter over broccoli, and serve with lemon wedges.
Variation: for herbed broccoli, add 1/2 tsp marjoram and 1/2 tsp dried basil to the lemon-butter mixture.
Calories 30(Calories from Fat 30)
Total Fat 3g
Saturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 4g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Chorizo-White Bean Soup
- 2 whole links chorizo sausage or Italian sausage, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (6-ounce) package baby spinach
- 1 (15- to 16-ounce) can Great Northern or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 20 minutes
1. Heat a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage, pepper, and carrot; sauté 5 minutes or until sausage isbrowned.
2. Add broth; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add spinach, and stir until wilted; add beans, and cook for 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.
Yield & Time
4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)
FAT 14g (sat 5g, mono 6g, poly 1g)
- 1 pound (about 4) small new potatos, scrubbed, patted dry, not peeled
- 6 large cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Garlic Blend
- Freshly ground pepper
Makes 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 potatoes
1. Place all ingredients in microwave casserole. Stir to coat potatoes.
2. Cover. Microwave on HIGH for 10-15 minutes. Stir once or twice to rearrange potatoes. Check for doneness each time. Arrange least cooked potatoes around edge of the dish
3. Serve hot.
Saturated fat 1g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Fiber 4 g
Sodium 303 mg
Green Beans with Walnuts
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 tsp olive oil OR Pam olive oil flavor spray
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- ground black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
Place the walnuts on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 5 to 8 minutes.
Cook beans in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain. Rinse beans with cold water, and drain well. Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Heat oil in heavy large skillet. Add beans and toss until heated through, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add walnuts and parsley and toss. Transfer to bowl and serve.
Healthy Stuffed Mushrooms
24 baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/4-1/2 cup chopped onions
1/4 cups drained, and rinsed sun dried tomatoes chopped
1 tablespoon dried Italian seasonings, I used thyme, basil and oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
a healthy portion of hot sauce
Spray a pan with Pam and add the onions and 1/2-1 cup of the chopped mushrooms stems, cook until onions are tender.
Add this mixture to the others and toss.
Stuff the mushrooms and sprinkle with parmasan cheese (Optional)
Bake at 350 for about 20 min or so
1 bunch kale, washed and dried well
Olive Oil Pam Spray
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon splenda brown sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Tear the leaves off the center rib of the kale and tear into large pieces. Place leaves in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil and toss until completely coated. Divide kale between 2 baking sheets lined with parchment. Arrange in a single layer and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until crisp. Place in a serving bowl and sprinkle with brown sugar. Cook's Note: Be sure to place the kale in one layer on the sheet tray. Overcrowding will steam the kale rather than crisp it.
Orange-Infused Roasted Green Beans and Red Peppers
- 1 pound organic green beans, trimmed
- 1 organic red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss green beans, bell pepper, and oil in a large bowl. Add orange zest, salt, and crushed red pepper to taste; toss to combine. Spread on a large baking sheet. Roast the vegetables, turning once halfway through cooking, until tender and slightly wilted, about 15 minutes.
Prep Time: 3 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 18 mins
Number of Servings: 4
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 298 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 11 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 2 g